Made with a savoury blend of herbs and cooked to perfection, this dreamy recipe for the perfect roast chicken is one that everyone should have up their sleeve. Serve this show-stopping dish alongside mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables for a complete meal that is guaranteed to please.
This dish is wholesome, simple, and bursting with mouthwatering flavours. You probably already have some, if not all, of the herbs and spices used in this recipe at home, making your trip to the grocery store an easy one. Once you prepare the chicken, most of the work is hands-off, giving you plenty of time to relax before enjoying an exquisite meal.
Perhaps you’ve been whipping up gourmet dishes for years, or maybe all you can make without reading a recipe is cereal. Whatever the case may be, everybody should know how to make the perfect roast chicken. It’s the ideal dish to impress your guests at any family gathering or dinner party, so you’ll never have to struggle to come up with something last minute again. The best part is that your family and friends would never guess how incredibly easy it is to make!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each of dried sage, rosemary, and thyme
- ½ teaspoon each of dried oregano, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
Steps to Make a Roast Chicken
This incredible recipe is beyond easy to make and comes together from start to finish in just six easy steps. To make the perfect roast chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil with the dried herbs and spices.
- Tie the chicken legs with twine, then coat them evenly with the oil mixture.
- Roast the chicken for 60 minutes, basting it halfway through cooking.
- Reduce the heat to 200°C and cook for an additional 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cover, and let the chicken sit for 15 minutes before serving. Pair with your favourite side dishes and enjoy!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Here are some of my favourite tips and tricks for this recipe:
- Let the chicken come to room temperature before putting it in the oven to ensure that it cooks evenly throughout.
- For an easy side dish option, simply add seasoned potatoes to the pan about 35 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Make sure the potatoes are cut roughly the same size.
- After removing the chicken from the oven, add thin slices of butter with herbs to the top of the chicken while it’s hot and let it melt while the chicken is covered.
- For tons of added flavour, stuff the chicken cavity with three garlic cloves, one carrot, half of a shallot, and four dried dates. You’ll thank me later!
- If you want to impress your friends and family with a truly show-stopping presentation, add lemon slices and fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary to the platter just before serving the dish. They add wonderful aromatics and a beautiful pop of colour.
Side Dish Ideas for Roast Chicken
This delicious Roast Chicken recipe is incredibly versatile, which means you can pair it with a wide variety of side dishes. I typically like to pair it with some veggie and starch for a well-balanced meal. If you need some inspiration, here are some of my favourite side dishes to pair roast chicken:
- Garlic herb roasted potatoes
- Mashed potatoes
- Basmati rice
- Butter and herb couscous
- Steamed broccoli
- Roasted carrots
- Caramelized onions
- Roasted brussels sprouts
- Grilled vegetables
- Caesar salad
Your delicious home-cooked meal will be ready in no time and is bound to be a crowd-pleaser! Find our range of poultry butchery products online now to cook the best roast chicken. For further meal inspiration, check out our blog posts for recipes, tips, tricks and facts about our favourite foods!