A classic casserole to showcase the flavour of this beautifully marbled beef, cut from the prime rib.
Serves: 4-6 Prep Time; 25 mins Cooking Time: 2-3 hours
- 2 x 500g packs Beef Rib Trim
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tbsp flour, seasoned
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ltr beef stock (or 500ml beef stock & 500ml red wine)
- Preheat oven to 140°C/Fan 120°C/Gas 1.
- Heat oil in a flameproof casserole dish, brown the meat on all sides, remove and reserve.
- Use the same pan to sauté the vegetables and garlic until soft
- Return the meat to the pan, stir in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with a little stock, stirring up any tasty bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Slowly pour in the rest of the stock, then add herbs and season with the salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat till barely simmering, cover pan and cook in a low oven for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, gently simmer on the hob without boiling.
- Taste a small piece of the meat to check for tenderness. If the sauce is too thin, remove the meat with a slotted spoon, set aside and reduce the sauce to thicken.
- If you prefer less fat, make this a day ahead, refrigerate overnight and lift the fat off.
- For something different serve your casserole on top of a Large Potato Rösti.
Recipe by https://www.donaldrussell.com/classic-rib-trim-casserole.html